Point in Time Homeless Count

  • Basic Info
  • Resources

Every other year Continua of Care throughout the country are tasked with enumerating the sheltered and unsheltered homeless population on one night in January in order to get a snapshot of homelessness in the nation, states, and local communities.

Because of the volume of counties in the Georgia Balance of State Continuum of Care, it can be difficult to conduct this count in all 152 counties in the continuum. To meet this challenge, since 2009, DCA has partnered with institutions including Kennesaw State University’s Burruss Institute and Simtech Solutions to develop a statistical model for predicting the rate of unsheltered homelessness in each county in the Balance of State jurisdiction utilizing data collected in sample counties.

Georgia Balance of State Continuum of Care 2019 Point in Time Count Report

A total of 4,183 people in the 152 counties of the Balance of State Continuum of Care were identified as Literally Homeless by HUD definition on the night of January 28, 2019 – a 13% increase from 2017.  54% were unsheltered; the other 46% were in emergency or transitional housing.

For complete details and analysis of the 2019 Point in Time Count, the full report may be found at the following link.

*Please note that the 2019 Balance of State Continuum of Care Point in Time Count Report has been edited to correct technical errors.  The most recent version of this report was posted on 11/15/2019.  Any copies of this report downloaded prior to 11/15/2019 are not current and should not be used.*

2019 Balance of State Continuum of Care Point in Time Count Report

Balance of State CoC Literally Homeless Population: Single Night

(Point in Time Count)

 

Number of Individuals per Year

Housing Status

2013

2015

2017

2019

Unsheltered

5,317

3,518

1,843

2,262

Sheltered

2,334

2,279

1,873

1,921

Total

7,651

5,797

3,716

4,183

Change from previous count (%)

-32%

-24%

-36%

+13%

Documents