Hotel-Motel Tax Complaints
- Basic Info
Hotel Motel Tax Performance Review Board Rules Amendments
In 2004, the Georgia General Assembly passed HB 1415 which created a Performance Review Board to hear complaints about expenditures of Hotel/Motel tax revenues. The Department of Community Affairs was charged with the responsibility for administration of the Performance Review Board and the complaints process.
Complaints may be filed by taxpayers, local governments, innkeepers, or private sector nonprofit organizations. The performance review board will meet annually between September 1 and December 1 to hear complaints, and will issue a written report of its findings which will include such evaluations, judgments, and recommendations as it deems appropriate. The Board's findings will then be transmitted to the Commissioner of DCA for a final determination regarding any remedial action that might be deemed appropriate.
How to Submit a Complaint
You may submit a complaint to be reviewed by the Performance Review Board by using the form and information links below. Please review the following information before initiating your complaint.
- Complaints must be related to inappropriate expenditures of Hotel/Motel Tax receipts collected by a local government in the current or most recently ended fiscal year.1
- A complaint may involve expenditures made by a local government or other entity authorized by the local government to spend Hotel Motel Tax revenues.
- Complaints may be submitted by taxpayers, local governments, innkeepers, or private sector nonprofit organizations.
- Complaints must cite the code section of Georgia law [paragraph within code section 48-13-51(a)] which pertains to the specific Hotel/Motel Tax authorization of the government named in the complaint and must provide additional information as specified in the complaint filing form.2
- Complaints that fail to meet the criteria listed above may be rejected for failing to meet minimum standards.
- A nonrefundable filing fee of $100 must be submitted with each complaint filed. This fee must be paid by check or money order made payable to "Department of Community Affairs."
- Complaints must be postmarked or hand delivered no later than June 1 in order to be considered by the Hotel Motel Tax Performance Review Board in the meeting(s) held between September 1 and December 1 and must be submitted to the Department of Community Affairs at the address specified on the complaint form. Complaints submitted via facsimile will not be accepted.