Participant Eligibility Information

Tab Group

Basic Info

The HUD 811 PRA Wait List is currently OPEN.

We are accepting Referral Forms for
the Project-Based Rental Assistance Wait List. 

The HUD 811 Program is referring eligible households on the waitlist to
available vacant 811 units during this time.

What is Section 811 Project Rental Assistance?

HUD 811 PRA is a permanent supportive housing (PSH) program offering rental assistance and supportive services for people between the ages of 18 and 61 with long-term disabilities, who may have difficulty living successfully in the community and may become homeless or institutionalized without support.  Housing supports include things like reminders to pay the rent, help to arrange medical appointments, and other services. Only people with disabilities who need these types of supports are eligible for HUD 811.

HUD designed the 811 program to facilitate partnerships between housing programs and supportive services that are offered in each state. In Georgia, HUD 811 has partnered with the Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Disabilities (DBHDD) and the Department of Community Health (DCH). Qualified Referral Agents throughout the state provide continuous supportive services including determining eligibility, submitting referrals, providing guidance and tenancy supports during property referral, move in and residency.

The Georgia HUD 811 program provides a set-aside of subsidized rental units at designated apartment buildings located around the state. Once an application is submitted and reviewed, a confirmation email will be sent to the provider. DCA will place the applicant on a county-based housing list and will refer the applicant to a property that has a vacancy in the counties (or in surrounding counties) that they have requested. Position on the housing list is based on the date and time the application was received by DCA.

Eligible individuals must meet the following initial qualifications:

  • Be between the ages of 18 to 61 at the time of move-in
  • Have an income at 30% Area Median Income or Less (extremely low income) of the county you wish to live. 
    To check your income in the county you desire to live in - Click Here.
  • Have an impairment according to HUD's Definition of Disability:
    • Impairment:  Does the eligible applicant have a physical, mental, or emotional impairment as verified by signed documentation by a licensed professional? 
    • Duration:  Is the eligible applicant’s impairment expected to be of long-continued and indefinite duration?
    • Independence: Does the eligible applicant’s impairment substantially impede his/her ability to live independently?
    • Housing: Is eligible applicant’s impairment of such a nature that such ability could be improved by more suitable housing conditions?