Research and Documentation
- Basic Info
Documenting Properties for the National Register of Historic Places
For proposed National Register nominations, please consult the following items for assistance in researching and documenting a historic property and/or district. Documentation for the National Register differs depending on the type of property or district being nominated. For complex or less well known or researched properties, please contact HPD’s National Register staff for additional guidance.
- Documenting a Property in Georgia (pdf)
- Documenting a Property in Atlanta (pdf)
- Writing the Developmental History of a Community in Georgia (pdf)
- How to Cite Sources for a Bibliography (pdf)
- Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps (pdf)
- Preparing Maps for Proposed National Register District Nominations
- Don’t Forget the Wife and Kids: Documenting All the Residents of Your Historic House
Building Types and Architectural Styles
The Historic Preservation Division (HPD) developed standard terminology for building types and architectural styles in Georgia to assist in identifying and documenting historic resources. Buildings are identified according to their type, which is the overall form of the building, height, and floorplan. The architectural style of a building is the exterior decoration. Building may or may not express a particular architectural style.
See: Building Types and Architectural Styles
Statewide Historic Contexts
A number of statewide historic context studies are available for Georgia’s historic resources.
Where to Find Information
- Research Files available at HPD (pdf)
Files are available for researchers by appointment only. You can make an appointment by calling the following subject area contacts:
- Georgia Natural, Archaeological, and Historic Resources Geographical Information System (GNAHRGIS)
A web-based geographical information system designed to store and display information about Georgia's natural, archaeological, and historic resources. The system went on line on May 4, 2005, with information about the state's archaeological and historic resources.
- Digital Library of Georgia
- Directory of Historical and Cultural Organizations in Georgia
- Georgia Archives (Georgia’s Department of Archives and History)
- Georgia’s Virtual Vault
- National Archives