County Snapshots Home

:: Wheeler County ::

Community Profile

County Formed August 14, 1912
County Seat Alamo
Incorporated Cities Alamo and Glenwood
Total Area 300.345845 square miles

History

From its county population in 2000 of 6174 to its current population estimate of 7995, the county has experienced a growth change of 1821.

Wheeler County, located in the central part of the state, was created from Montgomery County in 1912. The 298-square-mile county is named after Joseph Wheeler, a general who served in the Confederate cavalry during the Civil War (1861-65) and later in the Spanish-American War (1898).

The county seat is Alamo, which established its post office in 1890. It was incorporated in 1909. The name,honoring the Alamo mission in Texas, was suggested by Christina McCrae Brightto, daughter of Judge John McCrae, a prominent local landowner and future state senator.

Railroad service came to the area in 1890, when the Savannah, Americus, and Montgomery Railroad (later the Seaboard Air Line Railway) extended its line from Abbeville to Lyons, traversing what became Wheeler County. Alamo developed around a railroad depot on this line, and the growth of both Alamo and Glenwood led inhabitants to petition for the division from Montgomery County, which led to the new county.

County N/A
Additional County Info http://www.georgiaplanning.com/CountyPortal/countyportal.asp?FIPS=13309
Click here to view a larger map image.

State of Georgia



Little Ocmulgee State Park


Wheeler County Courthouse, Alamo


Return to top of page