County Snapshots Home

:: Oglethorpe County ::

Community Profile

County Formed December 19, 1793
County Seat Lexington
Incorporated Cities Arnoldsville, Crawford, Lexington and Maxeys
Total Area 442.060993 square miles


From its county population in 2000 of 12721 to its current population estimate of 14673, the county has experienced a growth change of 1952.

Oglethorpe County, named for Georgia's founder James Oglethorpe, was carved from Wilkes in 1793 to accommodate population growth. Over the years Oglethorpe County has gained land from surrounding counties, sometimes in exchange for parts of itself. Lexington, the county seat, was first settled in the late eighteenth century by a group of North Carolinians who named it in honor of Lexington, Massachusetts. It was incorporated on November 24, 1806. Oglethorpe County's other incorporated communities are Arnoldsville, Crawford, and Maxeys.

Points of Interest

Bartram Buffalo Lick, near Philomath, may be the site of a kaolin lick described by naturalist William Bartram in the 1770s.

Watson Mill Bridge, on the border of Oglethorpe and Madison counties, is the longest original covered bridge in Georgia. Built by W. W. King in 1885, the bridge was restored in 1973.

Additional County Info
Click here to view a larger map image.

State of Georgia

Oglethorpe County Courthouse, Lexington

Downtown Lexington

Return to top of page