From its county population in 2000 of 8274 to its current population estimate of 8991, the county has experienced a growth change of 717.
Montgomery County, in east central Georgia, is the state's twentieth county. It was created from part of Washington County in 1793 and received additional land from Telfair County in 1812. The county is named for Richard Montgomery, a brigadier general in the Continental army who was killed leading an assault against Quebec in 1775.
Montgomery County began as a rural county in which inhabitants raised a variety of crops to sustain themselves. They also harvested timber for cash, using local waterways to float the logs to Darien for market. Most people lived in isolated locations because of the difficulty of building roads in the region. The development of towns did not occur until after the Civil War (1861-65), when the wiregrass region was opened up by the arrival of railroads.
The county seat is Mount Vernon, which was settled in 1795. It was designated the county seat in 1813 but not incorporated until 1872. Initially court was held in the residence of William Neal. His home also functioned as the jail. In 1797 these functions were moved to Arthur Lott's plantation.