County Snapshots Home

:: Long County ::

Community Profile

County Formed August 14, 1920
County Seat Ludowici
Incorporated Cities Ludowici
Total Area 404.257799 square miles

History

From its county population in 2000 of 10331 to its current population estimate of 17113, the county has experienced a growth change of 6782.

Honors Dr. Crawford W. Long who introduced anesthesia for surgery

On August 14, 1920, the state legislature proposed a constitutional amendment to create Long County from Liberty County, one of the original eight Georgia counties established in 1777 from the colonial parishes. On November 2, 1920, Georgia voters ratified the proposed amendment and Long County became Georgia's 159th county

Originally a trail used by Indians, Old Barrington Road became an important trade route between the Carolinas and Florida in the early 1700s. It also was critical during the Revolutionary War for the troop movements.

Points of Interest

Ludowici Well Pavilion

Ludowici Well Pavilion

Walthourville Presbyterian Church

Annual Events

Old South Farm Days

Catfish Festival

County http://www.longcountyboc.com/
Additional County Info http://www.georgiaplanning.com/CountyPortal/countyportal.asp?FIPS=13183
Click here to view a larger map image.

State of Georgia



Walthourville Presbyterian Church


Adamson Fish Camp


Return to top of page