County Snapshots Home

:: Catoosa County ::

Community Profile

County Formed December 5, 1853
County Seat Ringgold
Incorporated Cities Fort Oglethorpe and Ringgold
Total Area 162.459657 square miles

History

From its county population in 2000 of 53676 to its current population estimate of 65621, the county has experienced a growth change of 11945.

Catoosa County, located along the Tennessee border in northwest Georgia, is the state's 100th county. Catoosa was created from parts of Walker and Whitfield counties in 1853 and comprises 162 square miles.

The Western and Atlantic Railroad built a line through Ringgold, the county seat, which soon became the busiest train stop between Atlanta  and Chattanooga, Tennessee.

In 1856 Catoosa County's first courthouse, a two-story brick structure, was built in Ringgold. Soon after its construction, local masons were granted permission to add a third story to the courthouse for a Masonic meeting hall. According to local lore, Union general William T. Sherman did not allow his troops to burn the building in 1864 because of this meeting hall. 

Points of Interest

The Old Stone Church in Ringgold was built in 1849 and served as a hospital during the Civil War for troops on both sides of the conflict. The original altar and pews of the church, which today houses a Civil War museum, are still intact.

Fort Oglethorpe grew out of a U.S. military base established as Chickamauga Post in 1902. In 1947 the fort was sold on the open market. Considered a "ready-made town," it incorporated in 1949 as a civilian city.

Notable Citizens

Randall Franks is a fiddler from Tunnell Hill who appeared in the TV series In the Heat of the Night.

County http://www.catoosa.com/
Chamber of Commerce http://www.gatewaytogeorgia.com/
Additional County Info http://www.georgiaplanning.com/CountyPortal/countyportal.asp?FIPS=13047
Click here to view a larger map image.

State of Georgia



Chickamauga-Chattanooga National Military Park Monument


The Old Stone Church


Return to top of page