County Snapshots Home

:: Bleckley County ::

Community Profile

County Formed July 30, 1912
County Seat Cochran
Incorporated Cities Cochran
Total Area 219.121398 square miles

History

From its county population in 2000 of 11694 to its current population estimate of 12795, the county has experienced a growth change of 1101.

Bleckley County, in central Georgia, was named for state chief justice Logan Bleckley.

The seat of Bleckley County, Cochran, originally known as Dykesboro, was incorporated in 1869 and named for Judge Arthur E. Cochran, president of the Macon and Brunswick (later Southern) Railroad.

Points of Interest

The Bleckley County Courthouse, located in Cochran, was built in 1914 in a Neoclassical Revival style. Renovations and several additions have been made to the building since its original construction, and it was added to the National Register of Historic

Higher Education

Cochran is home to Middle Georgia College, recognized as the oldest two-year college in America. It is one of the original units of the University of Georgia System.

Annual Events

Country Fest, is an annual event in October where anyone can enjoy delicious festival food, live music, live animals, and a selection of handmade crafts.

County http://www.bleckley.org/
Additional County Info http://www.georgiaplanning.com/CountyPortal/countyportal.asp?FIPS=13023
Click here to view a larger map image.

State of Georgia



Middle Georgia College, Cochran


Bleckly County Courthouse, Cochran


Return to top of page