County Snapshots Home

:: Ben Hill County ::

Community Profile

County Formed July 31, 1906
County Seat Fitzgerald
Incorporated Cities Fitzgerald
Total Area 253.907431 square miles

History

From its county population in 2000 of 17496 to its current population estimate of 17464, the county has experienced a growth change of -32.

Ben Hill county was carved from Irwin and Wilcox counties in 1906 and is named for Benjamin Hill, a U.S. senator who served as Troup County's state representative and senator in the mid-1800s.

The county seat is Fitzgerald, founded in 1895 by Philander H. Fitzgerald, a newspaperman from Indiana. .

The town's settlers opened a public school, which became the first school to provide textbooks free of charge.

Points of Interest

Ben Hill County's first and only courthouse was built in either 1907 or 1909. Designed by H. H. Huggins in the Neoclassical Revival style, the building originally featured a clock tower, which was removed during renovations in the 1950s.

Annual Events

The city of Fitzgerald hosts several annual events and festivals, including the Colony City Chase, which takes place each October.

County http://www.benhillcounty.com/
Additional County Info http://www.georgiaplanning.com/CountyPortal/countyportal.asp?FIPS=13017
Click here to view a larger map image.

State of Georgia



Depot in Fitzgerald


Grand Theatre


Return to top of page