From its county population in 2000 of 4053 to its current population estimate of 3255, the county has experienced a growth change of -798.
Baker County, in southwest Georgia, was formed from Early County in 1825. The county was named for Colonel John Baker, a Puritan and hero of the Revolutionary War (1775-83).
In 1828 the settlement of Byron (near Albany) was designated the first county seat, but residents complained that the location was too close to the Lee County border. Subsequently, the county seat was moved to Newton in 1831. Newton, named for another Revolutionary War hero, Sergeant John Newton, was incorporated in 1872.
The last battle of the Creek Indian War of 1836 was fought in Baker County at Chickasawhatchee Swamp near Red Bluff. Indian villages were first recorded in the Baker County area by Spanish explorer Hernando DeSoto in 1540.