County Snapshots Home

:: Atkinson County ::

Community Profile

County Formed August 15, 1917
County Seat Pearson
Incorporated Cities Pearson and Willacoochee
Total Area 344.593233 square miles

History

From its county population in 2000 of 7609 to its current population estimate of 8223, the county has experienced a growth change of 614.

Atkinson County is named for William Y. Atkinson, Georgia's governor in the late 1890s, the county was created in 1917 from parts of Clinch and Coffee counties.

Early industry in Atkinson County depended on the pine forests covering much of the land. Logging operations used the Satilla River to float timber to the coast. Later, farming (tobacco, corn, and poultry) displaced logging as the central economic activity. 

Pearson, was named to honor Benjah Pearson who served in the Indian War of 1838.

Points of Interest

Completed in 1920, the courthouse in Atkinson County is located in Pearson, the county seat. Built in a Neoclassical Revival style, the courthouse was renovated during the early 1980s.

This painting depicts McCranie's Turpentine Still, which operated from 1925 to 1949 in Willacoochee. The still is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

County http://www.atkinsonga.org/
Additional County Info http://www.georgiaplanning.com/CountyPortal/countyportal.asp?FIPS=13003
Click here to view a larger map image.

State of Georgia



Willacoochee Library


Minnie Corbett Museum


Return to top of page